Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Weeks of Oct 19 - Nov 1

Banff was incredible... but back to reality now.

I had some good chances to test out my knee during some longer and tougher runs last week. After doing so, I pretty much came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to race in the Ozark Trail 100 miler this coming weekend. I had still held out hope that there might be a chance as I had recieved some ART and Laser Therapy, however it just doesn't seem like it is strong enough right now to try and run 100 miles.

I'm not really devastated about this from a race aspect as the signs over the past few weeks were pointing in this direction anyhow. The frustrating part though is that I had paid the non-refundable entry fee and had already booked my flight. I was able to get a small credit from the airlines but after penalties it only amounts to about $100 towards a future flight within the next year. Oh well, lesson learned. Next time book with cancellation insurance.

This week has been bad for other news on the race front. Aside from not being able to run OT100, I also found out that the 2010 BHP Billiton Rock and Ice Ultra has been cancelled. So sad, and aside from feeling bad for race director Scott Smith, and competitors and clients JD and David, I am also feeling further blahs for myself as I was hoping to head back up to run again.

So with all of this happening, I find myself pondering what's next. I guess I need to get healthy first which is key.

With all this gloomy recent race stuff, I should make a point of mentioning a few strong races and highlights that shouldn't be overlooked. First, of course, there was EJ's and David's (and Kim's) races at the Sydenham Fall Trail Run. Congrats again guys. Great races!

Also, a big congrats to one of my clients Michelle, who ran her very first marathon in New York City this past weekend. Michelle mentioned that the crowds were overwhelming and the last few miles tickled, but that she finished it! I loved it when she told me when she crossed the line she said "Never again", only to start thinking about ways that she could have run faster during the drive home. Way to go Michelle! She was still walking a little gingerly on Tuesday, but had a huge smile on her face to go with her finisher medal.
.
* * * * *

Training Summary (Oct 19-25):
Total # of hours this week: 6:31
Total # of runs this week: 7
2009 total # of hours: 511:08
2009 total # of days: 305
2009 total # of runs: 385
Streak: 7243 days in a row
Training Log Details: click here

Training Summary (Oct 26-Nov1):
Total # of hours this week: 7:43
Total # of runs this week: 7
2009 total # of hours: 518:51
2009 total # of days: 312
2009 total # of runs: 392
Streak: 7250 days in a row
Training Log Details: click here

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous says KneeKnacker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drag about the flights and registration. Take care of that knee and hope for snow. - 2010 is going to be a fun year - let's all get there healthy.

    As mentioned - the door is always open, the hot tub is always going, and soon the Gats will have snow - come on up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siku, Jesse, Willy, Cody agree...
    Yukon Quest.

    Neeka says...
    Take Me.

    Mali says...
    Good Riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron,
    I know of at least one other Ontario runner joining you in Pittsfield.

    Mike,
    KK is still on the list to do. Say hi to Deb and my Folks.

    David,
    We will be taking you up on some SS runs in the Gats.

    Meela,
    We need to have a beer together around the campfire tonight and discuss the pack's upcoming season.

    ReplyDelete