Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Busy Days

Busy days at Spafford Health and Adventure.

I really enjoy my job. Spafford Health and Adventure has evolved considerably since the early days when I first started. The thing that I like the most is that it tends to be a little different every day, and I am never 100% sure what direction my business may take in the future. I love that I am not locked into doing one thing exclusively, and I wake up each morning feeling refreshed and come into each day (and season) knowing that something is going to be a little different.

The coaching aspect of my business continues to be very rewarding and I feel fortunate to work with such a wonderful group of hard working athletes who I enjoy helping meet their goals. Seeing their commitment pay off with solid performances is very inspiring and keeps the sport always fresh and exciting.

One of the things that I always find challenging however is when a race comes around that I’m directing and a number of my clients are competing. I’m torn as I really want to be able to be a part of their day, chat and generally be available to support them, however the strains of race directing pull me a little more in that direction. However, I’d like to give a quick shout out and big congratulations to Christy, EJ, David and Kim, who all ran awesome races at the Kingston 5 Peaks race. Way to go guys!

I would also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to my family who are so helpful with supporting SHA events and volunteering. It can be a bit stressful in the days leading up to the race, during the race and even following the race, but my parents, Jack and Rosemary Spafford, and my kids Brennan and Heather were such a big part of this that we couldn’t have pulled it off without you. Thanks again. Then of course there’s Sara too who pours her heart and soul into the event as well…thanks so much Sweetie!

So, I have a bit of a break from race directing with the next race not being until the Sydenham Fall Trail Run on October 17, 2010,

The other aspects of my business includes writing and Dion snowshoe sales. I am also looking into the possibility of other lines of products to offer for sales on my website too, but will only offer products that I strongly believe in and use myself. I have already purchased Succeed S!Caps electrolyte capsules and will be offering them for Canadian sales soon once I finalize shipping costs, etc.

Speaking of Dion Snowshoes, I realize that it’s not the season for it, but lots of excitement for next season. I have a meeting with Bob Dion tomorrow in Watertown, NY and am looking forward to seeing some of the new products for next season. The plan is to also offer Dion snowshoes in some of the retail stores in the area, as there has been such a strong demand for them. We are also looking at offering another snowshoe race in the Kingston area next winter, and are excited to be able to offer a small fleet of demo snowshoes for those who don’t own running snowshoes but would like to try it out.

So, as you can see, it’s always an adventure! Looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.
____________________________________________________

Training Summary (May 10 – 16):
I had a great week of running early on, but I knew it was going to take a hit over the weekend with the 5Peaks race on Saturday. The main focus was to get a solid 50km long run in on Thursday, which I did, running it in 4:20 and feeling strong. The race was a busy time and my body suffered a little. While running with a pack full of marking flags on the course, I seemed to have strained my knee a bit. I am taking it easy for a few days, which I think will do the trick, and then will start bumping things back up a bit again. Really looking forward to a quiet holiday weekend coming up.

Total # of hours last week – 15:41
Total # of hours this year – 222:23
Streak – 7,447 days of running in a row
Training Log Details for the Week

3 comments:

  1. We ALL appreciate ALL you do....and your Family too....Hmmm I am suppose to start using electrolyte caps on my run this weekend according to TP...will they be available and shipped by Saturday?

    To early to be hoping for snow I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't there a chance of snow up where you live? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it was awesome to see you guys and the race was well worth the trip to Kingston for sure.

    Thanks again guys.

    ReplyDelete