Monday, March 29, 2010

March 22-28: Umstead and World XC

Another great weekend for Canadians on the North American and World running scene.

Umstead 100:
Canadian Glen Redpath started off 2010 the same way he finished 2009...running well!

Glen finished 3rd at the Umstead 100 this past weekend in a smoking fast time of 14:23. Umstead is a remarkably fast course that features very little elevation change or technical footing making it the perfect race to aim for a fast time. The race was won by Zach Gingrich, followed by Serge Arbone in second. Gingrich's time of 13:23 was a new course record.

Glen was the 2009 Trail Runner Trophy Series Ultra running Champion as a result of his great season of racing last year which included setting a new course record at Haliburton 100.

World Cross Country Championships:
Canadian Simon Bairu was the top North American at the World Cross Country Championships this past weekend finishing in 13th place. The World XC Championships are widely recognized as being the world's most competitive distance running race annually as you have runners who specialize at all distances from 1500m to the marathon all competing in one race.

This result certainly bodes very well for Bairu who is looking to make his marathon debut in 2010. If all goes well, you would think that he has a very legitamate shot at breaking Jerome Drayton's Canadian record.

------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Training Summary:
Things continue to go well with my training. My daily volume was quite high for the week and I felt like I could continue to run 2-2.5 hrs per day endlessly now. The real test for the week proved to be how I'd feel on a longer run. I had the chance to see on Sunday with a 4:12 run at Frontenac Park. I ran the north end of the Park and enjoyed everything about the run, other than the fact that I certainly was struggling a bit on the uphills. I felt that if I had run this on a flat course that I wouldn't have had any problems at all, but the hills were a real challenge. In all fairness, I was a little tired going into the weekend with having had such a big week, but I know my body well enough to realize that I am still a ways off of racing fitness. I'm ok with that though as it will all come together. I am just thrilled that I am back out there doing some pretty substantial runs daily and doing the training that I enjoy. I still haven't decided when I will look at racing, but there's certainly no rush.

Total # of hours this week – 16:38
Total # of hours this year – 109:40
Streak – 7,398 days of running in a row
Training Log Details

No comments:

Post a Comment